Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week in review and this week's training schedule. Rest.



Wow, what an exhausting week… I really paid for that extra run on Sunday. Progress was made, but there can always be more... this time through rest! I'm still fighting the leading edge of over-training.


Here's what really happened last week:
18 April, Monday: TIRED. Somehow managed to get up at 7:40 am run, but when my running partner didn’t show I just did a light 20 minute run, 20 minute walk with some yoga thrown in. Lots of little aches and pains going on in my legs.
19 April, Tuesday: Slept a solid 8 hours, feeling much improved. Class is Lyle was rough, I must have ducked at least 500x… quads will pay…
20 April, Wednesday: Still so tired! Skipped the morning run, just yoga with Whitney’s substitute… slow flow just doesn’t do it for me. Quads exhausted in standing strength.
21 Aprli, Thursday: Exhausted. I somehow made it through class, corner sparring instead of full-fledged sparring.
22 April, Friday: Slept in. Rest day. TIRED. Legs HURT.
23 April, Saturday: Rest day. Feeling a bit better, a bit of yoga. Double downward dog is awesome!
24 April, Sunday: Slept in, had a lazy day followed by a great session with Pia. Was still tired so only sparred 2 rounds with Jen, trying to be more conservative about blowing myself out.

So I see a trend here. Exhausted. Tired. Goals for this week:
Rest. It’s that simple. I never recovered from the last week and it dragged down my training schedule for the entire week. I’m still not even sure I’m recovered. Recovery week is necessary. This week focus on boxing and technique and some yoga and limit the running until I am feeling better.
Sparring: This seems to be key to my development. Trying to up the game here. Pia mentioned joining the kickboxing girls on Tuesday at 7 for some technical sparring and I’m going to try in addition to my Thursday/Sunday routine.
Yoga: Yoga rocks. Can’t wait to have Whitney back on Tuesday! Trying to work twists into my post workout routine.

So here's how we're going to make these goals reality, the plan for the next week:
Monday: 
am: rest.
pm: Be an adult. Grocery shop. Clean.
Tuesday: 
am: rest. 
pm: doubling up at Redline… first an hour of technical sparring and then skills class with Lyle, finish with vinyasa flow
Wednesday: 
am: rest? Easy run?
pm: vinyasa with whitney (somehow that sounds like a palindrome)
Thursday: 
am: rest. 
pm: double session! SBC circuit training followed by skills class and sparring at Redline with Lyle, finish with vinyasa flow
Friday: 
am: run(?) with the Redline girls at 6:30am in central. This will be subject to how I am feeling.
pm: rest
Saturday: 
am: rest
pm: rest
Sunday: 
am: Yoga? 
pm: women's class at redline with Pia, sparring post, finish with vinyasa flow


Rest is so critical, and I need to be on my A game!


How do you pull yourself back from the verge of over training? 

1 comment:

  1. I think one key to avoiding overtraining is diversity. For example, I never run two days in a row, but I do work out every day. Be sure to tap different energy systems (e.g. aerobic vs. anaerobic) if working out twice per day.

    ReplyDelete