Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My pretty face and a fist, the conclusion.


It's not so bad. Really. It isn't. 
Okay, first a quick replay of what happened last Thursday evening. I was paired against Heather, a former Golden Glover. Taller than me, but definitely lighter.

Round One: First couple hits she lands aren't so bad! She was going easy on me. I land a few solid punches, and bam, Ms. Nice Girl checks out and the Golden Glover appears. Knocks the ill-fitting head gear right off my head! Other than the multiple readjustment of headgear, I managed the first round pretty well. Finish winded but raring to go.
Round Two: We've appropriated different headgear that seems to stay on better. (Despite being sweat soaked, shower time please!) There will be no breaks in this round! First 2 minutes pass in a flash, I'm breathing heavy but I'm still moving. A solid cross connects to my right ear; my neck and shoulder scream and then I start running. Yes, running like a girl. The punches kept coming at my face and I couldn't seem to get myself oriented… so I ran! The last minute was not pretty.


Conclusion: There is a metric TON to learn, and it'll only come from experience. Gonna have to do a whole lot more of this! I'm game to learn and planning on sparring a minimum of 2 times a week. Hopefully more. Despite the purple toe saga (twisted in Pia's Sunday class, still swollen, still discolored but getting better) I plan on sparring tomorrow evening with Lyle at Redline. Too bad it's my lead foot, anyone who thinks to stomp on it better plan on Jaryn swinging to inflict pain. Seriously. I may do something I regret if that case comes to play. Jaryn angry isn't pretty. Third person reference not pretty!

I picked up my new head hear last night, Rival's High Performance Training Headgear in a small (grey/black.) Fits well, there will be no rest for it falling off! Review to follow!

What's your favorite post fight/spar ritual?
(Post note: thanks to the copious application of ice my screaming neck and shoulder were happy in the morning. Ice like it's your job!)

No comments:

Post a Comment