Thursday, March 31, 2011

My pretty face and a fist.



I have never taken a punch to the face. 


Ever. 


Yet, today, I am putting myself in the way of flying fists.


Why would I do this? In honor of my father, to raise money to put his killer on the ropes. 


My last post spoke about the loss of my father… It was quick: six weeks from diagnosis to death. A sudden infection took this competitive racquetball player down fast.  Before we knew it he had lost 20 lbs and within six weeks he was gone. In those weeks my father, who was 57, went from looking about 40ish, fit and athletic to looking like a withered 80 yr old man-- I still cannot bring myself to look at those final pictures of him. 


In the year and half since his passing I’ve been trying find ways to honor him as best I could.  I simply didn't feel comfortable asking people to contribute money to the usual charity runs, rides and races. These are things I do anyway-- can I really ask people to donate money for doing what I do every day?  Along came Haymakers For Hope, which raises money for the Jimmy Fund and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.   Given my father’s passion for wrestling and his life long devotion to sports, I finally have found a way to raise money and awareness in a way I feel he'd respect and appreciate.


Which brings us back to why my face and a fist have a meeting this evening. I’ve reached the point in my training where it’s time for me to spar! This is something completely new to me, totally outside my comfort zone… a whole new skill to undertake. Sure, in only four weeks, I've learned a lot of punches, a few slips, a lot of technique that I am still struggling to absorb.   But now it’s time to find out what happens under pressure and learn from it. Cause all the technique in the world won’t help me if I just crumble under pressure! I’m really excited… and understandably scared.   While I’m hoping to avoid remodeling the nose my father gave me, I do know that taking a punch is inevitable – and the sooner I do the better I will be at it! 


So here’s to taking down cancer with a solid one two punch!



Poll: Have you ever taken intentionally (or unintentionally!) taken a punch to the face?

No comments:

Post a Comment