Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Standing tall against sexual violence.

A week ago Pia asked me to write up a blurb on what the upcoming fight means to me. You may be thinking, isn’t that your Haymakers fight? Actually, no. On May 21st I will be participating in a smoker for a really good cause – the fight is at Redline Fight Sports in Central Square, and I hope everyone will be there! I will admit, I kind of fell into this fight. When it was suggested, my first thought was what a good practice round it would make. However, that doesn’t make it any less meaningful – it’s an actual fight and it’s for a really good cause! All proceeds will benefit the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center and I think it’s an excellent way to empower women and raise awareness. Since this fight is not my starting point but a byproduct, I did a lot of deep thinking on what it really meant to me, trying to formulate a thoughtful response. Hopefully I succeeded.

Standing Tall Against Sexual Violence. This fight is not just about empowering women… it’s about creating an environment where they can be empowered. This journey has brought me into contact with an amazing group of women who give wings to my self confidence. A group of women who aren't just there to fight, but are there to empower and raise each other up. I believe firmly in embracing truth and being open: my past includes its own run-ins with sexual and physical violence. Until now, openness and a willingness to share have been my tools to reach out to other women, and I am honored to have this opportunity to broaden my reach. We learn from our mistakes and I can only hope that in doing this fight, I may be able to give some other impressionable women a brief glimpse of what it means to be empowered and to find your own path.

I hope to see you all there on May21st!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment