Monday, May 9, 2011

Another week in review. Too much rest?

So last week I talked about how I should focus on rest.  Well, it turns out you may be able to take rest a bit too far. To be honest, I feel like I need to start upping on a week to week basis… I need to be careful, but I do need more than just yoga and boxing, regardless of how epic my sessions are with Lyle. I think there may be a function of having started drinking Gatorade on Tuesday/Thursday’s mid session. Started to realize I need more fuel!
Here's what really happened last week:
2 May, Monday: My back is sore. Shouldn’t have skipped my post session yoga. I went for a 4 miles walk and did the adult thing and got the grocery shopping done.
3 May, Tuesday: Sparring Melissa! I totally freaked myself out, and to be honest, in hind sight I am not sure why. Fight was actually pretty even! Legs felt pretty good, tired by the end of class, need more sugar.
4 May, Wednesday: Awesome yoga class with Whitney! Was feeling limber and fired up! Go dancer!
5 May, Thursday: Head is not in the game… feeling slow and blocky, but despite that the 6 rounds of sparring with Jen went well. Despite feeling like a failure, when I reviewed the video I was actually rocking it!
6 May, Friday: Rest day… kinda. Went out for dancing, 2 hours of solid cardio!
7 May, Saturday: Rest day.
8 May, Sunday: Semi-epic session. Pia followed by Lyle. No sparring all technique.  

Reviewing what I just wrote it seems like I actually had a pretty solid week, but I am feeling like I still need to step this game up a bit.
Rest. While I definitely don’t need as much rest now, I want to make sure I don’t head down the same road of 2 weeks struggling again… have to keep up with myself! Need to balance this with my feeling of too much rest. Let’s throw in 2 short runs.
Sparring: This is KEY to my development. I’ll be joining the kickboxing girls on Tuesday/Thursday at 7 for some technical sparring and hopefully rocking it!
Yoga: Yoga rocks. Embrace my practice and make sure it’s a daily event! Need to continue to work twists into my post workout routine.

So here's how we're going to make these goals reality, the plan for the next week:
Monday: 
am: rest
pm: Be an adult. Grocery shop. Clean.
Tuesday: 
am: short run with Sreenu. 
pm: doubling up at Redline… first an hour of sparring and then skills class with Lyle, finish with vinyasa flow. Keep my head in the game and keep killing this!
Wednesday: 
am: rest?
pm: vinyasa with whitney
thursday: 
am: rest. 
pm: double session! SBC first an hour of technical sparring and then skills class with Lyle, finish with vinyasa flow
Friday: 
am: run with the Redline girls at 6:30am in central. This will be subject to how I am feeling.
pm: rest
Saturday: 
am: rest
pm: rest
Sunday: 
am: Yoga? 
pm: women's class at redline with Pia, sparring/technique work with Lyle post, finish with vinyasa flow


Time to find the balance between rest and overtraining. Wish me luck!

 How do you find the balance between under/overtraining?

No comments:

Post a Comment